20080821

Welcome …

… to my patch of the Web!

can’t tell you what to expect in future postings, I’ve never written a blog before, and I have extensive and eclectic interests, so, anything could appear

before I continue, sorry [though not really] about the lack of capitals and the sloppy punctuation; you’re lucky it’s not text messaging, or wireservice shorthand; welcome to the future!

as PBS said in the 60s & 70s, before laptops replaced console TVs as communication / entertainment centres [that’s Canadian spelling, btw], you can always change the channel [today, that would be website]

this is a journal, a new, third level for me; I started with a personal journal [not the same thing as a diary] which led to my Book of Shadows, a kind of private, magical journal; SpiderLines is an interactive public journal, and one influenced or inspired mostly by things I come across on the Web

spiders? webs? Wicked Witch of… get it? actually, The Wicked Witch of the Web first started writing SpiderLines as a column for Victoria’s Lavender Rhinoceros magazine near the end of the 20th Century; it was a monthly digest of Internet postings I came across about news and issues important to the GBLT community

if my blog settings are right, and all the links are working when you visit, this page includes a moon-phase widget, a Google newsfeed and, at the bottom, an astrology chart of what the zodiac looks like now from the Pacific Northwest; click the chart for a larger image

to start things off, these are some of the links I’ve bookmarked recently for my own reading that I think others may find stimulating

for example, those interested in US politics may find this Utne Reader article Supreme Warlord of the Earth interesting; it suggests the US is stuck with an imperial presidency under which executive powers grow at the expense of civil liberties
link: www.utne.com/2008-09-01/Politics/Supreme-Warlord-of-the-Earth.aspx?utm_medium=email&utm_source=iPost

speaking of the presidency, did you know one of McCain’s POW prison-mates says John’s one of the last people who should be allowed to make decisions about nuclear warfare?
link:
www.alternet.org

and speaking of eliti$m, I liked Iglika Ivanova’s article on The Tyee about Working Below the Poverty Line
link:
thetyee.ca/Views/2008/08/19/MinimumWageHike

more next time

Blessed Be

1 comment:

Ceding said...

LOVE your blog! 'tis not only eclectic, but sooooo elegant and aesthetic. Look forward to reading (and seeing) more! :-)